Vicodin is a combined pain-relieving product that has Paracetamol and Hydrocodone. These are two different active ingredients which have different mechanism of the action but they do not interact with each other. Therefore, their combined action gives a pin-relieving effect during painful syndrome of any severity.
- Hydrocodone is an opioid analgesic which is not worse than codeine. It reduces pain by binding to the opioid receptors of the brain and spinal cord. There is a risk of a medical addiction, and therefore it is often used in combination with other analgesics
- Paracetamol is an antipyretic, anti-inflammatory and analgesic product that does not interact with opioid receptors. It is rather safe and used in different fields of pharmacology
Paracetamol increases a pain-reliving action of Hydrocodone, so that it is possible to reduce its dosing and lower a risk of the opioid addiction development.
Vicodin has a strong pain-relieving action and is able to stop a severe cough. It inhibits centers in the nervous system responsible for coughing, so that a reaction of bronchi to the external irritators is reduced,
In what dose is Vicodin used?
Vicodin is produced in tablets for the oral use used directly during the appearance of pain. A tablet of Vicodin has:
- 5 mg of Hydrocodone
- 750 mg of Paracetamol
To reduce pain, a tablet of Vicodin is used with a glass of water. A pain-reliving effect occurs in about 20 minutes. If pain does not disappear within 1-1,5 hours after the use of the Vicodin tablet, another dose may be used.
A length of the action of a tablet of Vicodin is 5-6 hours. Therefore, patients are recommended to take not more than 4 tablets per day with the same interval. But in case of the severe forms of the painful syndrome, Vicodin may be used 8 times per day. This is the maximal dose that cannot be exceeded. Using high doses of Vicodin may lead to an addiction. Therefore, take the medicine in the minimal dose which helps to remove pain.
- Do not take Vicodin for more than a month. If a cause of the pain is not neutralized within this period, change a medicine. A regular use of one opioid analgesic is not recommended
- Vicodin is not used during pregnancy, lactation, severe diseasesofkidneys/liver/heart/blood vessels, severe COPD or asthma. If you are under 18 years old, the use of Vicodin is contraindicated
- If you have organic diseases of the brain, or epilepsy, the use of Vicodin is contraindicated
- If you are taking Vicodin, do not take sleeping pills, sedatives, alcohol, tranquilizers, antidepressants, and others.
Using Vicodin may be accompanied by the following side effects:muscle cramps, fatigue or dizziness, yellowing of the skin and whites of the eyes, fatigue, constipation, dry mouth, nausea, vomiting or loss of appetite, increased sweating. Skin itching or rash may be symptoms of the allergic reaction to Vicodin. Consult a doctor and specify a cause of the allergy.