Soma relaxes the muscle tissue and may reduce pain of light and moderate severity. Soma has Carisoprodol, one of the best myorelaxants on the pharmaceutical market.
Myorelaxant Soma may be especially useful during traumatic pain or treatment of the muscle spasms. In case of the spasms of the striated muscle tissue, a human may have a severe pain that may be felt even after the spasm.
The mechanism of the action of Soma consists in the relaxation of the muscle tissue and reduction of the innervation in the pain sites. Tissues affected by the painful attack cannot interact with the nervous system, and there is no signal about pain in the spinal cord.
Soma does not increase a painful threshold and does not have anti-inflammatory characteristics. The drug may be used in the treatment of the painful syndrome and following diseases:
- Muscle injuries
- Increased tone of the muscle fibers
- Back pain
- Degenerative disc disease
- Various forms of diseases of the musculoskeletal system
In what dose is Soma used?
Soma is a myorelaxant of a long-term action. The activity period of a onetime therapeutic dose lasts for 4 to 6 hours. It is impossible to predict a sensitivity of a patient to the action of the drug, and therefore it will be seen on practice.
To reduce an acute painful syndrome, patients are recommended to take a pill of Soma 350 mg. In case of the chronic form of the painful syndrome or acute state of the muscle hypertonia, Soma 350 mg may be used 4 times per day with the interval of 6 hours.
The Soma tablets are taken at once, without chewing them. It is taken with a full glass of water. It is better to take the medicine after meals, especially if you experience pain in the stomach after the use of the tablet.
Soma may be used within a long time but only under doctor’s control. If you noticed that the use of 4 tablets of Soma 350 mg per day does not help to effectively reduce pain, the treatment is terminated.
- Take Soma only with clear water. Do not take tablets with grapefruit or grape juice. They may increase bioavailability of Carisoprodol in the blood plasma
- Do not take Soma during pregnancy. Besides an intensive relaxation of the muscle fibers (this is not recommended during this period), Carisoprodol may affect fetus development
- If you took NSAIDs before Soma and you had an acute state of the gastric ulcer, it is necessary to wait for the end of the bleedings. If the acute state of the ulcer began during the use of Soma, the treatment should be stopped
- If you have any chronic diseases of kidneys, liver, cardiovascular system, please consult a doctor before using Soma
- A minimal age of a patient who may take Soma to treat pain is 7
Using Soma (especially during the first several days), patients may have dizziness, weakness, nausea, low blood pressure, slight tremor. Some patients (especially with chronic diseases of the gastro-intestinal tract) may have stomachache, vomiting, gastritis.
Due to the use of high doses of Soma, a partial incapacitation may happen. An excessive relaxation of the muscles needs a reduction of the physical activity. The muscle tone is normal after the use of the drug.