Valtrex is an antiviral product which blocks the activity of herpes virus in the body. It contains Valaciclovir that stops the synthesis of herpes DNA and a viral replication.
The main advantage of Valtrex is that it acts during any forms of herpes virus and slows the outbreak of the severest forms. Valtrex easily copes with herpes simplex 1, 2 and 6, genital herpes. But it also shows a high activity during the treatment of cytomegalovirus infections, Varicella Zoster, Epstein – Barr virus.
If genital herpes, Valtrex helps to reduce infection of a partner by 45-60% depending on the protective functions of the body. It is not able to completely cure of the viral infection because DNA of herpes is fixed in the cells of the nervous system and does not leave it. But as soon as the protective functions of the body are reduced, and DNA virus began to affect new cells, and Valtrex blocks this activity and quickly reduces the disease symptoms.
A preventive function of Valtrex lowers an intensity of the reaction of the transplantation rejection and increases a chance of the successful organ transplantation.
In what dose is Valtrex used?
A scheme of the use of Valtrex may differ during different forms of the herpetic infection. Therefore, it is necessary to read the instruction for the use or consult a doctor before the treatment.
- To treat labial herpes, Valtrex is used in the dose of 500 mg 2 times per day within 3-5 days
- To prevent genital herpes, the scheme of the treatment depends on the frequency of the outbreaks. If the outbreak appears more than 7 times per year, it is necessary to take Valtrex 500 mg within a year
- To prevent CMV infections, Valtrex is used as soon as possible after a surgery. The drug is used in the dose of 2 g 4 times per day within 3 months
- To treat herpes zoster, Valtrex is used in the dose of 1000 mg 3 times per day within a week
A long-term use of Valtrex does not reduce natural protective functions of the body, does not cause a medical addiction.
- Valtrex should be used carefully during medically intensive forms of HIV-infections
- Valtrex should be used during pregnancy only if a potential use exceeds a potential risk for the fetus
- Valaciclovir does not influence on fertility of men and women
- Valaciclovir can to hit in breast milk, therefore you don’t need to take this pills when you breast feeding
- If a patient has intensive disorders in the work of kidneys, the use of high doses of Valtrex (more than 2 g per day) should be controlled by a doctor. The kidney functions should be also regularly checked
Main side effects of Valtrex may be caused by the increased sensitivity to Valaciclovir. The side effects are not dangerous for the psychological or physiological health but they may cause a light discomfort.
Using Valtrex often causes the following side effects: discomfort in the abdomen, diarrhea, vomiting, nausea, headache, seizures, tremor, itching or rash.
There are no reviews yet.