Provigil is a safe and effective stimulant of the brain activity. It contains an active ingredient Modafinil. In medical practice, Provigil is used for the treatment of narcolepsy, a pathological daytime sleepiness that is not treatable by the common sleeping pills.
An advantage of Provigil is an action right after the first use of a therapeutic dose. Therefore, sometimes 3-5 days will be enough to restore a normal sleep.
But due to its psychostimulant action, Provigil is also used for the improvement of the higher brain functions. This is memory, attentiveness, psychomotor reactions, and others. Using Provigil in certain doses helps to significantly improve these functions. Modafinil increases a production of noradrenaline and dopamine that play a main role in the work of the brain and central nervous system. But the action of this ingredient is still not completely studied.
There is data that Provigil does not cause a medical addiction unlike psychostimulants on the basis of amphetamines. But it is not used for a long time because any long-term stimulating action on the brain may increase side effects.
In what dose is Provigil used?
To defeat sleepiness, Provigil is used in the dose of 200 mg per day. It is better to take the medicine in 15-20 minutes after awakening, before breakfast. It is quickly absorbed, and food may be used in 20 minutes.
A tablet usually works within a day but some patients begin to be sleepy in the afternoon. In this case, it is allowed to take a pill of Provigil 200 mg in the afternoon but not earlier than 6 hours before sleeping. If the medicine is taken in the evening, you will probably have insomnia.
To improve the brain activity, Provigil is used in the dose of 400 mg (2 times). Provigil may be used within 4 weeks. If the symptoms of sleepiness are not removed within this period, it is necessary to have a medical examination and find out a cause of the disease. If it is necessary to continue the treatment, take a break for 2-3 months.
- If severe mental disorders, the use of Provigil is not recommended because a stimulation of the brain activity may worsen the symptoms
- If you took psychostimulants before, and they caused severe side effects, do not take Provigil
- If cardiovascular diseases, the use of Provigil is contraindicated
- If you are taking Provigil, do not consume alcohol, do not take other psychostimulants and antidepressants, and any products increasing blood pressure
- Do not take Provigil during pregnancy because its influence on the fetus development is unknown
- If you are allergic on Modafinil, you don’t need to take this medication. If you don’t know about your individual sensitivity to Modafinil, take this medication in minimal doses
As most psychostimulants, Provigil may cause some side effects. However, Modafinil is a safer stimulant, and so the side effects are light, and a cessation of the drug use is not required.
Using Provigil, patients may have pain in back, dizziness, anxiety, insomnia, and digestion disorder.
There are no reviews yet.