Clomid is a trading name of the active ingredient Clomiphene citrate. It helps the body to cope with pathological changes of estrogen level that may cause infertility of woman.
Clomid breaks a link of estradiol with estrogenic receptors in hypothalamus and ovaries. This link usually inhibits a production of gonadotropic hormones, so that ovulation may disappear using Clomid, it does not happen, and so the body does not control a concentration of gonadotropic hormones and begins to actively produce follicle-stimulating and luteinizing hormones. Due to the increase of these hormones, a healthy ovulation appear and a woman has a chance to become pregnant.
However, Clomid is used not only for the treatment of infertility. It helps to change pathological states which are caused by the oversupply/deficit of the female sexual hormone level:
- The absence of menstruation – amenorrhea
- Infrequent menstruation – Oligomenorrhea
- Dysfunctional uterine bleeding
- Discharge of milk from the nipples in women who are not breastfeeding – galactorrhea
- Insufficient volume of ejaculate in men – oligospermia
- Increased breast in men – Gynecomastia
Clomid effectively helps to neutralize a bad influence of the anabolic steroids on the male body and restore a production of testosterone and a reproductive function of testicles.
In what dose is Clomid used?
To successfully treat anovulatory infertility, Clomid is used by cycles/courses for 5 days within 1-6 months (depending on the speed of the ovulation onset).
The first stage of the treatment is started on the 5th day of the menstrual cycle. Clomid 50 mg is used once per day, within 5 days. After the therapy, ovulation should be controlled. It may be started in 7-18 days after the end of the treatment. If it did not happen, repeat a course of the treatment.
The dose is increased up to 150 mg per day during the second and next stages of the treatment. The scheme is repeated: the treatment begins on the 5th day of the menstrual cycle, the use of Clomid 150 mg is used within 5 days.
Men need a longer period of the treatment. They are prescribed a pill of Clomid 50 mg 2-3 times per day, within 3-4 months.
- The use of Clomid is prohibited during pregnancy. Before the treatment, it is necessary to make sure that a woman is not pregnant
- The use of Clomid is contraindicated during chronic liver diseases, organic diseases of the central nervous system, propensity for thrombosis, a severe allergic reaction to clomiphene
- If excessive bleedings not related to the disorder of ovulation/menstruation, the use of Clomid should be cancelled/stopped
- To confirm the efficiency of Clomid, it is necessary to do transvaginal ultrasound after every course of the treatment
The use of Clomid may cause discomfort in the lower abdomen, increased sensitivity of the breasts, nausea, facial flushing, changes in body weight, dizziness, or insomnia. If the dose is correct, the side effects appear seldom. But if you noticed the appearance of the negative reactions and they bother you, consult a physician
There are no reviews yet.