Wellbutrin is an antidepressant that has an intensive stimulating action. It has Bupropion ingredient which inhibits reuptake of noradrenaline and dopamine.
Wellbutrin stands out from the basic group of the “classical” antidepressants. It does not influence on the production of serotonin, and its action is characterized by the apparent stimulating effect. The antidepressant is mainly used in such forms of depression that are accompanied by:
- psychomotor retardation
Some experts have even called Wellbutrin as a psychostimulant and not an antidepressant. But it does not have psychotropic characteristics and is well tolerated. Due to the intensive stimulating action, an antidepressive effect of Wellbutrin is felt in 7-8 days after the started treatment.
Moreover, Wellbutrin effectively reduces nicotine addiction. This is one of the most effective drugs to quit smoking on the pharmaceutical market.
Another advantage of Wellbutrin is no inhibition of the sexual function, and a stimulation of libido and an increase of potency in men. Therefore, men who have had problems with potency due to the use of other antidepressants prefer this medicine.
In what dose is Wellbutrin used?
The pills of Wellbutrin should be used during meals with enough water. Crashing or chewing a pill is not recommended because it may lead to the side effects including spasms. A starting dose of Wellbutrin is 150 mg once per day. Patients who do not have a needed result with 150 mg may increase a dose up to 300 mg per day.
Wellbutrin 300 mg may be used once, or divided into two parts. If the daily dose is divided into two times, the interval between them should be 8 hours. Depending on the depression symptoms, Wellbutrin is used within 4-12 months. A solution about the use of the drug for more than a year is made by a qualified doctor and in accordance with a medical image of a patient.
- Wellbutrin reduces a convulsion threshold, and therefore patients with convulsive disorders and epilepsy do not take this antidepressant
- If bulimia or nervous anorexia, the use of Wellbutrin is not recommended
- Do not take Wellbutrin with MAO inhibitors. If you stopped taking MAO inhibitors, take 14-day-break and then take Wellbutrin
- The use of Wellbutrin is contraindicated children under 18 years old, pregnant women, and patients with intensive mental disorders
- If you don’t know about your individual sensitivity to Modafinil, take this medication in minimal doses. High doses can to increase risk side effects. If you don’t have side effects with low doses, you can increase daily dosage of Modafinil
Seizures, tremor of extremities, anxiety, headache are the most common side effects during the use of Wellbutrin. They are explained by a strong stimulating action.
High blood pressure, tachycardia, dyspeptic disorders appear seldom. The side effects often appear during the use of the maximal daily dose of Wellbutrin 300 mg. If the side effects occur, just lower the dose and control your health.