Ventolin is a bronchodilating product used for the treatment of the different forms of the airways obstruction. It has Salbutamol.
In medical practice, Ventolin is often used in the treatment of the bronchial asthma. It begins acting quickly, and therefore the drug reduces acute episodes of bronchospasms and relieves breathing in patients with airways obstruction.
Ventolin may be used during other diseases of the respiratory tracts when the basic function of breathing is affected:
- Obstructive bronchitis (including chronic)
- Viral bronchitis when there are prerequisites to the formation of airways obstruction
- Tracheitis with severe cough
- Difficult breathing and spasms during coughing
Ventolin cannot be single or main product for the treatment of the bronchial asthma or other airways obstructions. The medicine provides a fast but short action and does not act on the basic medicine.
The mechanism of the action of Salbutamol consists in the stimulation ofβ2-adrenoceptors of bronchi. It stops a production of histamine, leukotrienes, and other biologically active ingredients that take part in the formation of bronchospasms. It also reduces a resistance in the airway tracts and relieves breathing. But a therapeutic effect of Ventolin lasts for 3 to 6 hours, and therefore this medicine should be used only to reduce bronchospasm, and it may be kept during traveling, at work, for a walk, and others.
In what dose Ventolin used?
Ventolin is produced in the form of spray for the inhalation. Pharmacies sell inhalation devices which have a bottle with spray. You may buy these bottles separately, but the difference in price is low. And it is more useful to change an inhalation device every time.
- In case of an episode of bronchospasm, a patient should do 1-2 inhalations of Ventolin (100-200 mcg of Salbutamol)
- In order to prevent an episode of bronchospasm during physical activity or before the action of allergen, it is necessary to use 1-2 inhalations of Ventolin 10-15 minutes before the effect of the causative factor
A patient has a breathing relief in 1-2 minutes, the level of oxygen in lungs is regulated.
How to inhale correctly:
- Remove a lid
- Shake the inhalation device with aerosol
- Place an inhalation device vertically and put your thumb on the base under the mouthpiece
- Take a deep breath and put your lips round the mouthpiece
- Push on the upper part of the inhalation device and take a deep breath at the same time
- Hold your breath for several seconds and exhale
- Repeat a procedure to get another dose, if needed
- The inhalation device should be cleaned one per week
- Pregnant women should use Ventolin carefully because it may influence on contractility of uterus
- Children under 2 years old are not prescribed Ventolin
- If a patient has any diseases of the cardiovascular system, consult a cardiologist before using Ventolin
Using Ventolin may be accompanied by light or moderate side effects: tremor, headache, tachycardia, irritation of the mucous membrane of the mouth and throat, muscle cramps. To avoid an irritation of the mucous membrane of the mouth cavity, rinse your mouth with water after the use of the inhaler. It will help to remove the parts of aerosol.