Topamax is a trading name of the active ingredient Topiramate. This ingredient has a specific mechanism of the action in comparison with other antiepileptic products.
Topamax is a derivation from fructose. An unusual chemical structure has its own advantages. The drug does not have an intensive sedative or inhibiting action. Most patients do not complain on the psychomotor retardation and may have a normal life. As the same time, Topamax reduces agitation from neurons and a risk of the convulsive attacks.
As a sedative action is absent, Topamax provides a low efficiency in the treatment of maniac syndromes through bipolar disorders. But in case of epilepsy, Topamax gives good results especially in the treatment of:
- Episode on the background of Lennox-Gastaut syndrome
- partial or generalized tonic-clonic seizures
there is data that Topamax effectively reduces headache related to the development of migraine. But this medicine is ineffective during other forms of headache.
In what dose is Topamax used?
Topamax is produced in tablets that should be used orally regardless of meals. To achieve optimal control of epileptic attacks in children and adult patients, the treatment is started from the minima doses, and the dose is increased during the development of a therapeutic effect.
The treatment is started from the minimal dose of Topamax 50 mg per day. Using this dose does not give the maximal therapeutic effect but an individual reaction to Topiramate may be found out.
In a week, a dose of Topamax is increased by 50 mg every 5 days. The minimal effective dose is 200 mg per day. The daily dose up to 200 mg is used once, for the night, with a glass of water. If a dose of Topamax exceeds 200 mg per day, it is divided into 2 equal parts.
The maximal daily dose of Topamax is 1600 mg.
- the treatment is gradually stopped in order to decrease a frequency of the convulsive seizures. In case of the appearance of attacks, a dose of Topamax is increased again, and a cessation is cancelled again in a week
- Topamax is safe for adults and children over 2 years old. Patients under 2 years old are not prescribed this medicine
- Adequate and strictly controlled medical studies of the safety of taking Topamax during pregnancy have not been conducted. Therefore, it is better to refuse from taking medicines during pregnancy
- If Topamax is needed during lactation, it is recommended to decide on a temporal termination of the breast feeding
- Patients with dysfunctions of liver should carefully take Topamax due to possible retention of this ingredient in the body and unintended overdose
Using Topamax may be accompanied by the following side effects: anemia, sleepiness, dizziness, agitation, mood swings, low appetite, and myalgia.
A side effect of Topamax is a dose-dependent, and therefore if the side effects grow, you probably take a high dose. Decreasing the dose will reduce side effects. If it does not happen, it is necessary to go to a doctor.