Paxil is a trading name of the active ingredient Paroxetine. This ingredient is able to give you an emotional stability and get rid of acute or chronic depression.
Paxil is a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor. It slows a process of metabolism of this neurotransmitter and increases its concentration. As you know, serotonin is responsible for the emotional state, and the higher the amount of this ingredient is, the better mood a human has.
Paroxetine is one of the strongest serotonin reuptake inhibits. It is not worse than tricyclic antidepressants but it does not have peculiar for them side effects and is well tolerated. Due to its strong antidepressive action, Paxil may improve a psychological state within 2 weeks.
Paxil may be used during the depression treatment and other psychological disorders related to the inhibition of the central nervous system:
- Panic attacks
- Generalized anxiety disorder
Using Paxil helps people with posttraumatic stress disorder which usually has severe symptoms and is continued for a long time.
In what dose is Paxil used?
A medical image of a patient is an essential criterion during prescribing a daily dose of Paxil. Depending on a type of the psychological disorder and general health of a patient, it is necessary to prescribe an individual dose that will not cause side effects.
- To treat depression and social phobia, adult patients are prescribed a tablet of Paxil 20 mg per day. If there are not results of the treatment within 3-4 weeks, a dose is increased by 10 mg per week. The maximal daily dose of Paxil is 40 mg
- To treat panic disorders, Paxil is prescribed in a minimal dose of 10 mg per day, and the dose is increased up to 40 mg (10 mg per week) in 2 weeks
- Children at the age of 8 to 17 are prescribed Paxil for the treatment pf phobia and obsessions. Children are recommended to take Paxil 10-20 mg per day
AdailydoseofPaxilisusedonce. The pills are used during meals (breakfast) and with a full cup of water.
- The daily dose of Paxil should be reduced by 10 mg every day. After having a daily dose of 20 mg in adults or 10 mg in children and teenagers, this dose is used within a week, and then the medicine is not used. If the cessation symptoms are developed during the reduction of the dose or after a cessation of the drug, it is reasonable to restore the use of the previous dose. Then it is necessary to continue the reduction of the dose but slowly.
- Do not take Paxil with MAO inhibitors or tricyclic antidepressants
- Do not take Paxil during acute manic states, alcoholic/narcotic intoxication, renal/hepatic insufficiency
According to the results of the medical studies, there are data that Paxil may cause light or moderate side effects. The common side effects are: nausea, loss of appetite, dry mouth, drowsiness, tremor, fatigue, sexual dysfunction, and increased sweating.
In case of the long-term therapy, the side effects are reduced and their intensity drops, a cessation of the treatment is not required.