Neurontin is an anticonvulsant that interacts with receptors of gamma-aminobutyric acid and increases its reproduction. It is produced on the basis of the active ingredient Gabapentin.
The studies of the active ingredients of Neurontin state that the increase of gamma-aminobutyric acid has a positive influence on the functioning of the central nervous system. An agitation of the neurons is reduced, and the frequency of the epileptic attacks is lowered. The use of Neurontin is indicated in the treatment of the partial seizures and neuropathic pain.
Neurontin is well tolerated. Unlike benzodiazepines that are also used in the treatment of epilepsy, Neurontin does not cause severe sedative effects, and its action is softer. Therefore, the side effects are not common during the therapy and appear seldom.
In wha tdose is Neurontin used?
To treat epilepsy, Neurontin is used in the minimal dose with the next increase of it:
- The first day – a tablet of Neurontin 300 mg is used once per day
- The second day – a tablet of Neurontin 300 mg is used 2 times per day
- The third day – a tablet of Neurontin 300 mg is used 3 times per day
Starting from the 4th day, Neurontin is used in the dose of 400-600 mg 3 times per day depending on a severity level. During the treatment a dose may be adjusted, and therefore there is no standard dosing.
The increase/decrease of the daily dose of Neurontin should be gradual because it will give an adequate control of the functioning of the central nervous system and help to avoid side effects. It is allowed taking up to 2400 mg of Neurontin within a day, not more.
To treat neuropathic pain, Neurontin 30 mg is used 3 times per day but the dose may be also increased in case of a low therapeutic reaction.
The tablets of Neurontin are well dissolved in the gastro-intestinal tract, and therefore they may be used at any time regardless of meals. But the interval between the use of the tablets should be identical within a day.
- When Neurontin is prescribed patients with pancreatic diabetes, it is necessary to control glucose level in the blood plasma and adjust a dose of hypoglycemic drugs
- Do not consume alcohol during the treatment; mental and physical reactions are reduced
- Stop taking the drug if pancreatitis symptoms appeared
- Patients with diseases of kidneys should lower the daily dose of Neurontin by at least 30%
- If pregnancy, the use of Neurontin is possible only if there are not risks for a baby. If a woman has side effects after the use of the drug, stop taking the drug
Using Neurontin may increase the blood pressure, dyspepsia, myalgia, dizziness, increased nervous agitation or fatigue. Individual peculiarities of the drug influence on the degree of the side effects and their duration. Therefore a body reaction to the use of Neurontin is unpredictable.
Do not exceed the allowed daily dose. Take the drug strictly according to the instruction, and so a risk of the side effects will be minimal.